by Doc – Owner, Founder, Finally Has a Good Use For His Animal Crossing Amiibo Collection
If you’re as much of an amiibo fan as I, you probably have several dozen amiibo figures and cards laying around that you haven’t had a great use for. Fortunately for us, Nintendo has put in support for a large chunk of the Animal Crossing amiibo series in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, which brings us to today’s topic: How do I use amiibo in Animal Crossing?
How to Unlock Amiibo in Animal Crossing
There’s a few steps you must take first. Amiibo functionality has to be unlocked, regardless of if you’re using it to scan in villagers or use them at Harv’s Island. You’ll get this functionality fairly early in the game, but not immediately, so be patient.
How to Use Amiibo on Harv’s Island
After a few days of playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons, a scruffy-looking dog will approach you. This dog, who looks oddly similar to a middle-aged Tommy Chong, will invite you to his island. You don’t need any Nook Mile Tickets to get there, just ask at the airport and they’ll let you fly to Harv’s Island.
Once you’re there, you can play photographer and have villagers from your island and villagers from your amiibo in a photo.
So here’s how you do it, step-by-step:
- Visit Orville at the seaport and tell him “I wanna fly!”
- In the next menu, select “Visit Harv’s Island.”
- Select that it’s “Time for Takeoff”
- You’re on Harv’s Island now. Enter the shack.
- Inside the shack, you enter photography mode. Press the Down arrow on your left Joy-Con or equivalent controller to bring up the amiibo menu.
- Scan in your amiibo with the Right Joy-Con or equivalent controller to scan in the amiibo!
How to Use Amiibo to Obtain Villagers
You unlock the campsite as part of Animal Crossing New Horizon’s “Story”, where you upgrade the island and unlock more parts of it at the beginning of the game. The campsite is unlocked right after you upgrade Resident Services to a full-fledged building.
To bring an amiibo to the campsite, you must:
- Build the campsite (obviously)
- Go to the Nook Stop, select Invite Amiibo Camper
- Scan in the amiibo using the Right Joy-Con or equivalent controller
That villager will then visit your campsite. You must then go to the campsite and, over the course of the next few days, convince them to live at your island by doing tasks for them. You will need to scan them in every day for 3 days minimum.
Bear in mind that when inviting a camper to become a villager, you’ll need to make sure you have less than 10 villagers, and that an open plot for a home has been built and lays dormant. I recommend buying this plot on the same day that you scan in the amiibo the first time. It takes one day to build the plot, and that gives you a one-day cushion in case you miss a day of scanning in the amiibo.